Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Wigwam Falls

  Last year I took a camping trip to Lake Sherando, and discovered the amazing Blue Ridge parkway, but didn't have nearly enough time to explore. Fortunately I was able to find a few days last month, to revisit the area.

   One of the great things about the Blue Ridge is how accessible beautiful spots like this are, something I appreciate now that my 13 year old dog can't hike like he used to. Just off the road, at the Yankee Horse Ridge Area, is Wigwam Falls. The photos don't do it justice, I had intended to come back to it later in the day, when the sun was at a different angle, but a thunderstorm changed my mind.



An old logging railroad is now a short trail to a picnic area.


  I stayed at Lake Sherando, in the national forest, about 6 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, the same place I camped last year. In addition to my National Geogrphic maps of the Washington and Jefferson National Forests, I also got a new guidebook, "Hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway" a Falcon Guide by Randy Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment