Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Along The Blue Ridge

Last month I packed up the dogs for a weekend and went camping in the mountains. Although I've lived in Virginia for five years, I've only been out to the Appalachians once, for a backpacking trip along the AT. This time I stayed at Lake Sherando in the George Washington National Forest. Its a very pretty area, with a stocked pond for fishing, a swimming area, and hiking trails. The campground was very well maintained with pretty campsites, but crowded, even in early May. Next time I'll go during the week, maybe in the fall to see the foliage.
 
The Appalachian Trail. We didn't hike any of it on this trip, but it is pretty.
 
Chewie and Panzer, at the Ravens Roost Overlook. They make excellent traveling and camping companions. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful road. Fun driving and great scenery.

A mountain laurel in bloom on the Lakeside Trail, and easy circut around Sherando Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment