Sunday, January 6, 2013

Winter Color

Last week I took a day to myself to walk around the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. It was a cool, clear, beautiful winter day, and I had the garden mostly to myself. I really like all these ornamental kale, and I'm definitely going to use more of them in my own garden next fall.
There weren't many flowers in bloom this time of year, except the camelias and a few azaleas, but many of the hollys had brightly colored berries on them. This yellow berried holly I've never seen before.
Purple Beautyberry. I want some of these for my own yard. Not only is the berry a nice bright color, but it is also a native plant great for attracting pollinators.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful... i don't know that i've ever seen a purple berry around here! i do love going to botanical gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I've never seen a yellow berry holly either. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete