Thursday, November 8, 2012

New Food: Quinoa


, originally uploaded by Scarlett Design.
  Over the past year I've been trying to lose weight, and just be healthier in general. I've had limited success, losing and regaining small amounts of weight, but I do feel healthier. I've been eating better and working out again, mostly yoga and walking.

  Recently I decided to try cooking one new food a week, mostly inspired by the new Whole Foods that opened in Virginia Beach, with all its containers of interesting dry goods. This week was quinoa, I bought it months ago and for no good reason hadn't tried cooking with it yet. It really was just as easy as making rice, but with a deeper more complex flavor.
Basically I followed this recipe for a mushroom pilaf, making some changes based on the ingredients I had on hand. Then I served it with a sautéed chicken breast and spinach. It was very good, and I think I could easily feed it to my picky boyfriend, who claims homemade rice (not from a box of chemicals and processed food) has no flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment