Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer Ankle Socks

I'm back! After 2 months of ignoring my blog. I really have no good excuse, I've just been very busy lately. One of the perks/downfalls of living at the beach is a constant stream of visitors all summer. I at least have a new knitting pattern to make up for my long absence. I made these for my Dad, who loves handknit socks. I've made him several pairs, but they were all wool blend yarns and I wanted to make something cooler for summer. This was the first time I used stretchy yarn, and I really liked it.


Summer Ankle Socks Knitting Pattern



Instructions are for Women's Small, (Men's Large) Because the yarn is stretchy, the circumference will fit most people, so to adjust for a different size foot, lengthen or shorten the foot.
For all sizes you will need 1 skein of Paton's stretch socks, and 4 3.25mm dpns
Gauge: 18 rows= 2" Be sure to check your gauge, especially if you have never worked with stretchy yarn before.

LEG:
CO 52 (60), divided evenly over 3 needles
work in k2p2 rib for 2", approx 18 rnds

HEEL, women's small
place first k stitch on needle 3, and work heel flap over next 28 sts
row 1: *sl1, k1 14 times
row 2: *sl1, p1 14 times
repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have worked 36 heel rows, or until heel flap is a square
TURN HEEL
k17, ssk k1, turn
sl1 p9 p2tog, p1, turn
sl1, k10, ssk, k1, turn
repeat last 2 rows, working 1 additional stitch each row until all heel stitches have been worked, ending on a WS row

HEEL, men's large
work heel flap over next 30 sts
row 1: *sl1, k1 15 times
row 2: *sl1, p1 15 times
repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have worked 36 heel rows, or until heel flap is a square
TURN HEEL
k18, ssk k1, turn
sl1 p7 p2tog, p1, turn
sl1, k8, ssk, k1, turn
repeat last 2 rows, working 1 additional stitch each row until all heel stitches have been worked, ending on a WS row

GUSSET
Needle 1: knit across pickup and knit 17 (18) stitches along side of heel flap, Needle 2: work instep stitches in k2p2 rib, Needle 3: pickup and knit 17 (18) stitches along side of heel flap, plus 8 (9) sts from needle 1
row 2: Needle 1: k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1, Needle 2: work in k2p2 rib, Needle 3: k1, ssk, k to end
Row 3: work even
repeat rows 2 and 3 until only 52 (60) sts remain

FOOT
work even until foot measures 6.5 (8)" from the edge of the heel flap, this will be approximately 54 (63) rows from the stitched picked up working Round 1 of the gusset

TOE
Rnd 1: Needle 1: k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1, Needle 2: k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1, Needle 3: k1, ssk, k to end
Rnd 2: work even
repeat rnds 1 and 2 until 28 (36) sts remain
repeat rnd 1 until 8 sts remain
cut tail, and thread through remaining 8 sts, pull tight and weave in loose ends on WS

This is the first sock pattern I've written and shared, so if you find any errors or have any questing please contact me. Also, I'd love to see photos of your completed socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment