Thursday, October 22, 2009

Halloween Illustration

For a few years I've had an idea to create an illustration inspired by old gravestones, specifically gravestones with the skull and wings design on them. I first saw these years ago, when visiting Salem, MA around Halloween. But apparently, they can be found in many graveyards around New England that date back to Puritan times.
Here are some photos I took in August, in the King's Chapel graveyard in Boston. I know they aren't great photos, but I've enhanced them to better show the carvings.


And here is the illustration I drew. I did this by hand, instead of in illustrator, because I wanted it to be imperfect, with slightly wonky lines, like a real gravestone would be. I especially love the tree. I'm really happy with it.

There is also a great article about these gravestone in the October issue of Martha Sterwart Living, but I couldn't find a link to it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment