Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wiener Werkstatte

Its amazing how quickly summer flies by. I can't believe its already mid-July. And it seems to go by even quicker here in Virginia Beach, where a home near the ocean guarantees there is never a shortage of house guests.
Recently I stumbled upon a some photos (I can't remember where, Cafe Cartolina perhaps?) of textiles created in the Wiener Werkstatte. The Wiener Werkstatte was an artists collective in Vienna during the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods, and, like the Arts and Crafts movement in England, included all of the decorative arts, with the goal of making good design available to everyone: textile design, furniture, glass, architecture, etc. I think I'm particularly drawn to this because I've recently been working on an illustration by the German Art Nouveau period.
Wkikpedia article here.
I think I just may treat myself to the Wiener Werkstatte book for my birthday (in a few weeks) and when/if I ever get to Vienna, I'm definitly going to the musuem.

I love the nature inspired and geometric patterns in these designs

What a gorgeous shade of blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment