Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks, I've been crazy busy. Among the things occupying my time was a sick dog. Nothing too serious, just some intestinal issues. Of course my boyfriend wasn't home during this so I was pretty much unable to leave Chewie alone for a few days (or risk coming home to a mess on the carpet). Fortunately whatever it was (he probably just ate something gross on the beach) had gone through him in a about a week. Still, I was worried. He had never been sick for that long before and hes getting older. Also, my boyfriend was apparently worried too, because he told everyone and we kept getting email about someone heard about somthing that makes dogs sick. It was nice of everyone to be concerned and I just wanted to share one of the emails with you. Just one more reason to switch to biodegradable cleaning products.

FYI - Be careful what you use to clean your house!
Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German shepherd dog put
down due to liver failure.. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks
ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were
unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of
some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's
with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to
My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he
got to the Swiffer Wetjet , he noticed, in very tiny print, warning which stated
'may be harmful to small children and animals.' He called the company to
ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was
astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients
(actually, he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze).
Therefore , just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the
solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its
Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of
liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on
their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a
lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as
possible so they don't lose their animals.

Although I'm pretty sure this isn't what made Chewie sick (I would have had to mop the floor) I'm definitely going to be switching to biodegradable cleaning products. I've been meaning to for a long time, and now that I've thrown out most of the chemicals in my house, after reading this email at 2:00 in the morning (I may have had a few glasses of wine) I'm going to start being more environmentally conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment