Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Handmade Notebook

As promised, here are instructions on how I made my notebook:
1- Cut a piece of 14"x6" fabric. I used linen, but any light or midweight fabric without stretch would work.
2- Fold in 1/2" on each long side, and press. Fold in 3" on each short side, and press.
3- Top stitch around edges.

4- Choose an iron on transfer image. I used one of my own photos and printed it at home. Adhere the image to the front of your notebook according to the manufacturers instructions.

5- For the inside pages, cut several 3 1/2" x 7" sheets of paper, and punch two holes in center, 1/2" from edge. I also printed these at home.

6- To bind everything together, punch two corresponding holes in the fabric cover, and tread a ribbon through. Tie a bow on the outside of the notebook's spine.

7- Add a decorative ribbon around graphic to coverup any uneven edges.

I'm really happy with the way these came out. I have wanted to try combining my design with fabric by using these transfers for a while. I'm considering selling something similar in my etsy shop, only I would use premade notebooks, and only make the cover myself.
And here are the notebooks I received in return. I think they did a much better job on the bindings than I did. One had an actual leaf on the cover, and the other is from a vintage paint-by-number, and used old book pages inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment